News‎ > ‎

Procedure to gain an Adventurous Activity permit

posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:37 AM by Giles Haggerty   [ updated Feb 6, 2012, 5:35 AM ]

Our aim in team Viking is to try and get a core of parents / adults up to a level where they can be assessed for a Scout Association Adventurous Activity permit. This permit allows them to run activities such as Kayaking, Sailing and Rowing etc. for Beavers, Cubs and Scouts. Adults are always useful during these activities and so if you are not able / willing to get a permit, we very much still value your assistance on the water.


Apart from the obvious technical requirements to ensure that the activity is led safely, there are a couple of more general requirements which the Scout association has.

In order to hold a permit, you will need to be a member of the Scout Association. This is not necessarily a uniformed appointment and is usually termed a “Group Skills Instructor”.

The requirements for this Appointment are the following:

1.    Complete the Adult Application form. This will include asking for a couple of references and will also include a CRB section. This is the extent of the paperwork .

2.    Complete a safeguarding course. This can be done by post or by attending a day session. They are held fairly regularly at various locations. The cost of this is covered by the district.

3.    There may be an interview with the Appointments secretary and a couple of other people. Usually only 15-20 minutes and sometimes even over coffee J

4.    Valid 1st Aid Qualification – We can arrange these and we cover the cost.

 Jeremy and I both have the Adult Application (AA) forms and you can also return them to either one of us.

As to the Technical side, we have factsheets available which will explain the requirements. Probably the most complete document is on how to gain a permit for Paddlesports.

We also have a bundle of the common factsheets across all water activities (Lifejackets, class C waters etc)

The other factsheets are in the resources section of the team Viking Website

Any questions, just ask